Wednesday, October 16, 2013

17 Days Til Christmas....

....until a Christmas Craft Show that I have rented a booth in that is.  AND I have done as I do so well, I have procrastinated.  I have some friends who think that is a hilarious trait about myself. I won't mention any names...Debby.
So, here I am, scrambling to make enough things to fill a 10x6 booth.

And I thought along the way I would post a few tutorials of what I'm making and here is the first one.

I know we have all seen these things to death, but I thought it would be fun to take a look again. I am talking about Cinnamon Ornies.

First I gathered all my supplies. I will be making Gingerbread Men Cinnamon Ornies and to make these I need;

cinnamon
apple sauce
glue
paper clips, cut in half
small rusty bells
gingerbread cookie cutters (I use the big and medium sizes in my set)


Then I mix the dough using;

3 c cinnamon
2 - 2 1/2 c apple sauce
1 c glue

I kind of added more of what I needed to make the dough a good consistency.  Then I rolled it out 1/4" thick.  I sprinkled my board and dough with cinnamon so that nothing would stick. I cut out large and small gingerbread men using my cookie cutters. 

I fix it up right away before it dries.  This is where mine are a bit different from others that just poke a hole through the ornament to thread a string for hanging. I use the half paper clip and stick the cut sides in the top of the head and leave enough out to put strips of fabric through for hanging.

I make the eyes by dipping the end of a paint brush in black paint, blotting off a bit, then press it in the face where I want the eyes. 
To finish it off, I push two rusty bells on the body to look like buttons. 
One more tip, I kind of rubbed the bottom edges with my fingers to smooth them out a bit.  That is the cut side and it can be kind of rough.
I put them on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and baked at 170 deg.  for 1 hr. Then I let them air dry the rest of the way, turning them over to dry the back as well.


When they are dry, I cut a bit of homespun fabric to loop through the paper clip. I tie a little knot to make a hanger and voila!


Aren't they just so cute? And they smell delicious!  Thanks for stopping by.

UPDATE:  I tried making the eyes by just using the end of the paintbrush without paint and I actually like it better.

This post is linked up to 1840 Farm Blog Hop Growing Home Salt Tree Love Grows Wild
 Confessions of a Plate Addict
 The Dedicated House
 Happy and Blessed Home
 Saving 4 Six

3 comments:

  1. They are so cute. Good job Crystal. Looking forward to seeing what else you are making.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use to make these (about 13 years ago), when my two oldest were babies and I had a craft shop in my home. I think it's time I make some more with the kids. Thanks for the reminder!! You did such a great job!! They are SO cute!!

    ReplyDelete