Monday, February 21, 2011

Making Yogurt Using a Cooler



I was so excited recently to find a different way to make yogurt. I have been making it in the oven for about 14 hrs at 110 deg. I really didn't want to use so much electricity and I had heard vaguely about the cooler method, so I searched it up online. So, I made the yogurt as usual. I brought 3 quarts of milk up to 180 deg. F., then I let it cool to 110 deg. F. At this point, I added 1/2 cup of starter yogurt and stirred it in. Then I poured it into 3 quart jars, sealed, and placed into my KFC take out cooler. I heated up some water to 55 deg. Celsius and filled up the cooler 3/4 of the way up. Shut the cooler so that all the hot air stays in and let sit 3 hours. Ta da! The yogurt is ready for the fridge.


It actually worked! It had kind of a mild taste to me, but using the oven method, I always added sugar because it was really tart. I added sugar this time and I think I won't next time. We like to eat our yogurt with sliced banana, canned peaches and sunflower seeds.






No comments:

Post a Comment